Sunday 26 June 2011

I want to be a princess when I grow up.

Hello! Wow it's been a while since I last posted! I've been super busy, though, so there is a lot to tell!

First off, last weekend was the rodeo. The Pete Knight Days Rodeo, to be exact. This is kind of important seeing as this is the rodeo I'm representing in the first place.

Friday night was the crowning. We brought out our horses and rode in the Grand Entry. My horse has never done this before, so she was a little nervous. She was fine with the flag going by, although she didn't stand still and tried to run. A lot. After that we chased calves after the guys had roped them, and Oakie was perfectly fine. At intermission, we had our crowning. It was so intense because me and the other girl were so close in the running. We decided we should just be co-queens! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. So she ended up winning queen and I got princess. I'm actually perfectly fine with not winning queen because I realized that every little girl, at some point in her life, has said "I want to be a princess when I grow up." Well now I am one, so it's pretty cool.

On Saturday, we had the parade. My horse was really freaked out because so much was going on at the same time. There was noise and motion all around her and it was a lot to take in. Fortunately for me, she was fine during the actual parade. After that, we had to go in the Grand Entry, again. Oakie did not take well to that. I think it was mostly because it was about to rain, there was a lot of wind, and the flag kept coming too close to her, but she freaked! She reared up and almost started running and bucking, but some one came and held on to her for me. After that happened, I really didn't want to run around and back out, so we just walked her out. It was a good thing that she was still being held because when the rest of the horses came running out past her she completely flipped and she reared up so far that I thought she was going to fall backwards. This kind of made me nervous, so we didn't chase the calves after that. Emily, the queen, worked Oakie a little bit and made sure that she was fine. Oakie was great for Emily so we decided to call it a day. We loaded up the horses and spent some time just talking to people. Then I took my horse home and unpacked everything. I was so tired!

Another thing that has been going on lately is my calves. Summer Synergy is coming up pretty soon, so my brother and I have been getting our calves in the barn almost every day. We chase them in, put halters on them, tie them up, spray them with the hose, put a fan on them, and then feed them. This has quite a few affects. Catching them and tying them up helps to halter break them and calm them down. It will allow us to be able to lead them a lot easier and help keep them calm when they are tied in their stalls. Plus it keeps them away from their mothers, which helps because, at Synergy, they won't be with their mothers most of the day. By soaking them and putting the fan on them, it helps them to grow hair. This makes fitting a whole lot easier! The food is just to let them know that they get a treat for coming into the barn.

But that's it for now. I have yet another rodeo coming up this weekend so I will definitely post again after that sometime.

~Miranda~

No comments:

Post a Comment