Monday 16 May 2011

Wonders of the world.

There are a lot of wonders in this world. There's the grand canyon and the pyramids and that kind of stuff but it's so far away! My wonder of the world is something a little closer to home.

This is 4-H. Today I was walking down the hall at school with some of my friends from 4-H and it hit me. What if I never met these wonderful people? Truth be told, I probably wouldn't talk to them at all if I wasn't in 4-H with them. I took a couple minutes and thought about all the people from 4-H that I know and how many friends I've met. It's literally more than a hundred. It's scary to think that some of the most important people of my life wouldn't even know me if I made the decision to not try 4-H, 8 years ago. It seemed like such an insignificant choice back then but now I realize it could have changed my life. I <3 4-H!!

The other parts of 4-H I've really been thinking about lately are what it teaches me. I know you've probably heard it a billion times because I definitely have. 4-H teaches you leadership, team work, and, of course, public speaking. Now where I'm coming from is that it will help me in the future with things like getting a job. But the future isn't for a while so right now I think it's helping me with my rodeo royalty competition. I'm able to work with the others involved, take the lead and show what I know, and it had a public speaking event. 4-H has in fact taught me valuable skills that I am actually using.

4-H can help anyone on a daily basis, too. For example when you're doing group work in class. Someone needs to take charge and get everyone organized. Plus you have to work together. Don't you learn how to do that in 4-H? Or you have to give a presentation in front of your peers. Pretty sure you learn how to public speak in 4-H. And if you start a new job, start going to a new school (like I will be), or are just placed in a situation where you don't know anyone, you can walk up and start associating with people. It's so easy to just start a conversation. 4-H helps you not be shy.

All in all I find 4-H very interesting, helpful, and overall, fun! So keep on 4-Hing! And if you aren't in 4-H, definitely join! These are just my thoughts of the day but I will keep you posted.

~Miranda~

No comments:

Post a Comment